The Archive View toolbar contains several options for extracting information from archived files. Archive files consist of other files that have been compressed for efficient storage. The Archive View allows you to easily view and access these stored files.
- Main View – The default view displays the archive you are viewing along the left side of the window, and a larger viewing area for the contents of the archive file.
- View File Properties - Shows information about the archive, including file name, the location on your computer, file type, and information about when the image was created, last modified, or last viewed. When this view is selected the toolbar will have options to select the information for copy and pasting, and a button that allows you to copy the information to be pasted elsewhere.
- Hex View – The hex view allows you to view the hexadecimal information of the file. When this view is selected the toolbar will have options to select the information for copy and pasting, and a button that allows you to copy the information to be pasted elsewhere.
- Extract all files and save to a specified location – This important feature allows you to copy the contents of the archive file to a non-archived location on your computer so you can interact with them. After clicking the button you can browse to a location on your computer, and then press OK. This will extract the files to that location. For example; if you had an archive file that contained several documents, using this feature you could select “My Documents” and then press OK to extract the files to “My Documents”.
- Extract file and save to a specified location – Useful when you only need to extract one file at a time. Select a file by clicking on it in the main viewing panel, and then click this button to extract that file. You will be able to browse locations on your computer and then clicking OK will extract the file to that location.
Navigating the View Pane
The View pane is the large central section where the contents of the archive file are displayed. The view pane will be divided in two sections. On the left-hand side you will see a smaller pane that shows the archive structure; the folders and subfolders that are contained in the archive. On the right-hand side you will see the contents of the archive folder you have selected. You can navigate to view the contents of a new folder by double-clicking the folder icons in either pane.
The information bar displays useful details about the archive currently being viewed. When viewing an archive file it will show you the file name, how much space the archive takes up on your computer when compressed, how much space the archive would take up if you extracted all files, and the date the archive was created on your computer.