You can use the File Extension Manager to get information on a particular file type and to receive a list of recommended software that can open that file.
To use the File Extension Manager:
- Click the Optimize tab.
- Click File Extension Manager button.
- In the File Extension text box enter the file extension (for example: .doc or .xlsx)
- Now click the Find Software button.
The results list free software at the top of the list, and ranks paid software by best average rating.
In some cases a file extension may have several different uses. The most common uses will be ranked towards the top of the list.
The following is displayed:
- The File Extension
- Alias: any other aliases for the extension.
- Type: the type of file type (for example, "Document file type")
- Description and information related to the file extension
A table with information as described below. The table is ordered with free supported software at the top of the list and then by best rating.
+When you hover the mouse cursor over the items in this column you can see a complete list of file extensions that the application supports.
+A rating based on a scale of zero to five stars is displayed when there is rating available that PC Health Advisor can retrieve.
+A link when clicked opens your browser to the software vendor's web site where you can receive more information about the application.
+A button to initiate the download of the software. Your browser opens to the software vendor's download page.
+Free software (as noted) and those that require the purchase of a license.
PC Health Advisor searches and displays all instances of a file type. In some cases there are multiple types of files which use a given extension such as in the case "txt". All instances are displayed with the most common and well known instances at the top of the Manager window.
To download the suggested program:
- Click the Download button next to the program.
- If the download does not start automatically, your browser will open to the download site.